Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cape Cod

I haven't been blogging much because the weather's been gloomy the whole of June. It basically rained the whole of June, which was unusual. June's supposed to be the start of warmer months but as they say, "The only thing predictable abt Boston weather is its unpredictability."
Finally, it got a little warmer last weekend so we headed to Cape Cod, where our landlord stays. We had lunch at a beach club and were brought on a mini tour after that. The house you see on the left was where our landlady's grandfather was born (our landlady's in her 70s now). It's currently being inhabited by her cousin, who owns a cranberry business. She was really proud of the house and had multiple paintings of the house hung up in their current home, and she told us many stories about her grandfather and uncle.
Seeing how proud they were of their heritage made me think of mine. I think it's really sad that I never really found out the story of my grandparents. When I asked my paternal grandmother why she decided to come to SG, she looked really embarassed and didn't want to say much. Now that all my grandparents have passed on, it seems like I've lost a huge chunk of my family history. Now that I'm getting older (yes, I admit it), I seem to be much more interested in my culture and heritage. I think that me being away from home really helps too because I've had to describe SG to many pp here. The more I talk about it, the more I realise how unique we are as a nation. Maybe I just miss the satay and chilli crab....
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment