Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Smoke Alarm

No picture today but thought I'd just tell everyone the story of "How I set off the smoke alarm". One good thing that came out of it is that I now know that the smoke alarm in my apartment works. I must say first that it's not a result of my poor culinary skills!! I was doing everything right, except I chose to use the 2nd untested oven in the kitchen and I suspect that it hasn't been used for years... After preheating the oven at high heat, I opened it and placed the chicken on the shelf (the other oven was set at a different temperature and was holding my trays of cookies), and lo and behold! A great cloud of smoke engulfed the kitchen and quickly migrated east to the hall. I had a split second decision to make: to close the oven door or not. I made the wrong choice: leave it open, maybe the oven will cool down and the fumes will cease. As I stared in horror at the hazy gas that overtook the hall, a loud beep started to sound. I rushed to the smoke alarm by the room (my poor friend who was staying with us, jet-lagged and catching a nap was jolted awake by now) and realised that there was no 'off' button. There was no way to turn off the sound! I imagined scenes of firefighters breaking down my door, neighbours rushing out of the building. Just as I was about to climb on a chair and prod some sense into the obstinate contraption, it stopped on its own. It had an automatic sensor! I just had to get the smoke out of the apartment! I opened the door, welcomed in the freezing chill and opened the door to the kitchen which led out to the hallway. I was quite pleased with how the air started to clear but it did not last. Soon, I heard a voice in the corridor and before me stood a European lady with an irate expression advising me to close the door because the smell of the "cooking" was permeating the corridor. Sigh.. what an embarassing day. I shut the door after a short mumble about smoke alarms and clearing air, and proceeded to apologise profusely to the friend who was rudely awakened and introduced to a cold front. At a time like this, you can't possibly expect me to take a picture, right?
p.s. If you would like to know, both the cookies and chicken are well and were happily enjoyed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment